Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Awkward highlights of the week


Sometimes I'm awkward.  Normally people with this curse are oblivious to their awkwardness, but I would venture to say that my case of awkwardness is doubly worse.  This is because I'm painfully aware of every awkward moment...but I can't help it sometimes.  Here we go.
  • One of my best friends is dating this guy that I work with.  The other night, when we were waiting in line to go to a comedy show, he pulled her into a side hug and...then they just stayed there, in the side hug along the wall.   Probably about five minutes into this prolonged side hug, I looked over at both of them--when they both looked at me--and I gave them a huge smile and thumbs up.  :D
  • Later I apologized for being awkward to them.  The boy said something to the effect of, "That's alright, we know a lot of awkward people."  When he said that, I just laughed a little and kind of looked at him for longer than the acceptable social time.    
  • The other night, as SOON as I got out of class, I rushed over to this nursing home to play the piano for my wards' service family home evening activity.  I asked if my roommate would turn the pages for me.  I forgot to tell her that the pages weren't taped together, so we had to stop in the middle of my piece to figure out the pages.
  • After I played, this cute guy came up to me and told me how well I played and that it was beautiful.  When he said that, he kind of raised his hand up a little, like he was going to shake my hand??  I didn't know...so I shook his.  How awkward is that--shaking one of your peers hands for a little longer than either party wanted...during a compliment...like an old lady would...
  • So when we were all leaving, a bunch of people were starting to say goodbye to all of the old folks.  I was in a row right in front of this elderly lady and this OTHER cute guy came up and started saying goodbye.  I didn't realize/remember this until later, but I was just staring at them saying goodbye, less than five feet away.  I'm sure he was aware of me, but acted like he wasn't, thank goodness.  It was like living out the scene in 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' when she just stares at her future husband in the restaurant before she pours him coffee...
  • After he finished saying goodbye, I went to the same lady to also "show my love" and say goodbye to her.  I started talking to her, asking her questions about herself with some small talk.  I was personally uncomfortable, but I was thinking, "Well, older people like this, right, people talking to them?  I'm going to make more effort than all of these people have and actually talk to her!"  Well, apparently old people haven't lost their awkward-radar either, because she asked me if I was leaving with the rest of the group on a bus or needed to take anyone home, (No, I was by myself driving) and thank you again for the beautiful music and singing to us!  Uhhh, WHY could I NOT get the hints from this lady??  Oh my gosh.
  • During the talent show, I also accompanied this guy singing.  On our way out, he thanked me again for playing for him.  I told him that it wasn't a problem, you're welcome, and I didn't know you could sing like that!  THEN I kept rambling, saying, "Well, I guess I don't know how I would have, I've only talked to you twice, but...it was really good!"  He just sat there smiling.  Whaterr.
This is about all the awkwardness I can take.  Even as I type this I'm starting to feel the twinges of awkwardness.

No comments:

Post a Comment