Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Self-discovery. Is. So. Great.

Okay.  So you know what one of the best movies of all-time is?  My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  I don't watch a lot of movies, but this is one that I've seen OVER and OVER.  It's borderline sad how much of it I have memorized.

Bear with me here.  Remember the scene where it shows Toula's "self-discovery" per se, where she really becomes herself, finally is accepted by others and learns new things about herself?  I would have posted the YouTube clip of it, but I couldn't find it.

I feel like that's my life right now.  I'll just go into a little list here about somethings I've learned about myself/experiences to illustrate this...

I always kind of viewed myself as classy, but not necessarily stylish (being defined as "always with the latest trends") or trendy (being defined as "up-to-date on the styles).  I know, I just defined them as the same thing.  Since moving here to a new apartment complex with new people, I've gotten some compliments on the way I do my hair/make-up/outfit...it's been refreshing to me because I don't know, I guess I never thought of myself as being able to be truly complimented or admired by the "cool" girls.  (That's not to disregard the previous compliments that I've gotten in the past by my friends--I'm just referring to the new place I'm in/new people that I've met.  I also don't want it to sound like I'm tooting my own horn (thanks, Mom, for your cliches ;).  This is just a public corner of the Internet for some of my thoughts.  K, thanks.)

For example, in the bathroom as I was getting ready, one of my roommate who's ultra chic--said that she liked the way I did my make-up, what eyeshadow did I use, and that my eyelashes are really long.  I'm only repeating what she told me ;)  But seriously, the image that kept replaying in my mind was Toula sitting down with all of the pretty blond girls.  "Rohkayy, I'll sit down with my Wonder Bread sandwich and eat with y'all!"

Other moments of self-discovery:


  • *Openness alert* I needed to get a new bra.  BUT I discovered my grandma is really good at fitting bras, and I, uhhhh, got fitted well!  What's up, y'all.  My boobs.  Way more up than they were.  Okayyy...
  • I thought I liked getting caught in the rain, but...apparently I don't.  Only sometimes.
  • I learned that I have no problem eating a slice of chicken bacon ranch pizza right after a bowl of cereal in the morning.  
  • I tried curling my hair again in hopes of liking it, but nope!  I still don't.  Only when it's long.
Okay, I think that's all.  That's all the self-discovery I can take in one weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment