Sunday, September 23, 2012

The good, the bad and the uglaayyy

Good:

  • went shopppaaanng.  I sincerely believe in the magic of shopping therapy.  
  • My friend told me about some sweet new music.  Look up "Madness" by Muse.
  • got two cute new hometeachers.  holllaa
  • ate banana pancakes this week
  • went grocery shopping.  It's always nice to have food
  • went to a block party on Saturday night with my friends
  • watched Baby Momma with some friends.  That was fun, too.
  • auditioned for a fashion show in February
  • luncheon with friends
Bad:
  • was late to work this week
  • first o. chem. test
  • lunch date
  • one of my best friends' boyfriend broke up with her
Ugly:
  • So there we were, waiting for the church service to start in the Marriott Building (an indoor arena type building with stadium seating, used for basketball, devotionals etc.)  My friend asked me which portal we were in so she could text it to our other friend, so I stood up to see.  I also had an open water bottle in hand--I was about to take a drink, as all people with open water bottles in their hand normally intend to do.  When I stood up, I totally ended up spilling like, HALF the water bottle onto the two girls in front of me!  I don't know what happened.  I just kind of tipped it over as I was looking at the portal.  Oh. My. Gosh.  And the way I found out was the girls gasped and stood up really fast, looking at me like, "WTH!?"  All I could do was sit there and profusely apologize.  "I can't apologize enough, I'm sooooo sorry!!!"  Them: "It's okay, I'm glad it was just water and not, like, Kool-aid or something!"  But seriously?  Can you imagine coming to church and having water poured all over you!?  There's no way to explain how that was an accident except that I was seriously NOT thinking AT ALL.
  • So there I was, sitting in class on Friday, so ready to get the heck out of class and on with the weekend.  I was going to go to Plato's Closet to get a pair of tapered jeans for this fashion show audition.  I booked it out of there, made it to Plato's and all was well.  THEN I headed over to Target to get a white v-neck, since that was the other part of the audition outfit (jeans, white v-neck and heels).  In the Target parking lot, I thought it would be really smart to take my key off of my key ring and stick it in my wallet so I would just have my wallet and phone with me.  You can see where this is heading, right?  I grabbed my clothes to stick in the trunk and ended up sticking my wallet in the trunk.  It took me a second to realize what happened, though--I started walking off to Target with my phone and bag of jeans from Plato's in hand...and then it hit me.  Oh no.  There were several problems with this picture.
    • I didn't have a spare key.  At all.  (**Now I do, thanks for asking.**)
    • My phone was at 14% battery life.
So I called everyone I knew in the family in the area, but no one was picking up.  My dad picked up, but he was in New York on a business trip... I quickly looked up a locksmith and just called the first one I saw.  It was actually kind of a bizarre experience calling them, like it was some type of office base that outsourced to people in the area.  I don't think they even knew where the Target in Orem was, which they should have!!  The office lady said the guy would call me, letting me know when he would get there.  Ten minutes later, "I'll be there in thirty minutes."  Thirty minutes later, "I'll be there in twenty minutes."  Me praying, "Please don't let my phone die before this guy reaches me!!"  The last twenty minutes passed and my phone completely died.  It wouldn't revive for the world.  So I sit there ANOTHER forty minutes, hoping this guy will at least still come looking for me, since he was *supposed* to know where I was and the make/year of my car.
In the meantime, I sat on my car trunk, laid back on my car, sat down by my car, leaned against it...Picture this: since I was in the car parking spot right by the shopping cart return station, I just sat and leaned my head against the metal bars there, with my jeans by my side and my dead phone.  Every once in a while, someone would return a cart, rattling the whole thing and jostling me to look up.  I'm sure I looked like this random emo kid, just sitting there in the Target parking lot....
Finally this guy who came back from shopping (there were several people I saw come and go), asked if I was locked out of my car.  Yes, I was.  Well, why don't you call the police, they'll do it for free...? Because I already called the guy, and I didn't know they did that before I called them, and I'm not thinking coherently right now, and I'm hungry, tired and hot and just a little kid... Just go call the police.  They'll do it for free.  Okay, I will.
So I unpeeled myself from my car and called the police from Target.  The cop was there in five minutes.  Two and a half hours later from the initial lock-in, I got my wallet and was able to finally get the things I needed at Target in the first place.

Since I had a lot of time for self-reflection while sitting there in the Target parking lot, I learned a few things about myself.  
  1. I needn't be so quick to judge.  There were several really good-looking (as in "nice" or "kind") people who walked by me who didn't ask me a single thing.  However, this guy who asked me was someone I initially judged as someone who I would never want to encounter alone in a dark alley.  He was this huge Tongan-looking guy with long hair, tats and what looked like a beer case in hand.  It was him who suggested asking the police.  So nice!
  2. I had a lot of time to people walking by.  I was really inspired by all these fit and skinny moms, toting around kids--but looking good doing it!  I really want to get in more shape!
  3.  I'm going to be more aware--and not make this mistake again.
  4. I reflected on why I really went out and bought these jeans.  It can be really easy to spend money in order to obtain self-worth, but it needs to come from the inside.  Of course, it can't hurt to get new jeans...
So yeah.  The good, the bad and the ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment