Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"Scary Beautiful"

I wasn't planning on writing a blog post today, but after seeing this article on the Yahoo homepage, I just had to.

First, you must read this article and watch the video on the site.

http://shine.yahoo.com/the-thread-how-to/scariest-shoes-time-173900092.html

Only then may you move on to read my commentary.

Have you read it yet?  Can you believe that?  It's so crazy!  Even more than the shocking entertainment factor, however, I really appreciate how the article goes into further depth than that.  It has meaning behind it, which I *absolutely LOVE*.  Analyzing symbols and deeper meanings behind art and literature has to be one of my favorite things in the world.

The video speaks volumes. While it's a radical fashion statement, it's also clearly debilitating.  The model walking with those shoes looks like she has a disability.  This could be applied to real life in many ways.  Isn't it true that, as one continues to seek things that are *not as important* in life, their view of the world is obscured and their ability to "walk" properly is hindered?  The article already touched on this, but I just want to reiterate how in the intense and worldly pursuit of beauty, people have reached a climax that has become scary.

Some other things that have been on my mind this week:

1) General Conference was AWESOME.

2) I want to write about being "victimized."  I feel like I've always been aware of the annoying concept of "being a martyr or victim," always thinking, "Ugh, I'm never going to be like that--complaining of my circumstances..."  I've realized in the past that I have, though, without realizing it!  I try not to say it out loud to my friends or anything, (I'm sorry to my friends if I have!). I've realized that at least in my head, the inner voice has been telling me how hard I have it.  "If my life were like this person's, my life would be so much easier.  I would have so much more time, etc."  "I wish I had an easier major..."

It's time for me to silence that voice.  I'm going to work harder, and if I feel like I'm a victim of circumstance, there's nothing without of my power to change that!  Are there any areas in your life that you feel victimized, even if you don't realize it?  Try focusing on it and thinking about how you can change it!  This week I'm going to work on managing my time better and trying to use every minute usefully.  

3) I hate sitting on seats that are still warm from someone else's body heat.

4) When my chemistry teacher asks for the billionth time "if that's okay, are we okay with that?" I might be compelled to yell "no" without thinking.

5) Let's talk about the phrase people use when they need to walk past someone: "I'm just going to sneak by you..."  No.  You're not sneaking by.  You're squeezing by and too impatient to wait for me to get out of your way.  I don't know why, but that phrase has always gotten to me. haha.

How about this beautiful autumn?

No comments:

Post a Comment