Thursday, April 11, 2013

In this moment

In this moment I'm sitting here in the JSB on campus, trying to study for my food science quiz that I have to take in about 45 minutes.

Jack Johnson's "Better Together" song came on my iPod and it took me back down memory lane...

I distinctly remember talking to my best friend from high school, Caleb, in his awesome white Camero driving down Rowlett Road about this song.  Maybe (chances are most likely) my memory has since blurred, but this is how I remember it.

I remember telling him how much I loved this song and Jack Johnson in general.  He didn't like him.  Or the song.  At all.  I changed the song.

I think it's interesting that this song now reminds me of my boyfriend from last year.  He could sing while he played the guitar (such a *hot* plus in a guy), and he was especially good at Jack Johnson songs.  He sang this song for me once.

Isn't it funny how things change in a year?  Around this time last year we had "broken up" for like, three weeks, and then got back together.  It's a weird feeling remembering what I was doing at this time last year, trying to figure out if I was going to date this guy.  Now here I am, more single than I've ever been in my life and preparing for a mission.

I think it's also funny that the next song (no lie) on my iPod that came on after this is "The Day Before You" by one of my favorite bands, Rascal Flatts.  My favorite lines from this song are:

"Oh, but Heaven knows those years without you
Were shaping my heart for the that day I found you
If you're the reason for all that I've been through
Then I'm thankful for the day before you"

I think this is true.  I have to trust that everything that has led me to right here and right now is for a reason.  My job, failed dates, hard semesters, rejection from the dietetics program...all of it and more is for a reason that someday I'm praying I'll be able to figure out.

And maybe the only reason is to learn how to trust in the Lord more fully.  That would be okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment