Saturday, July 6, 2013

Our..interesting...Blueberry-Picking Experience

This past week our family made a little day trip to pick blueberries as a family together.  I would post pictures, but I'm saving those for the "Week in Pics" that I'll eventually *hopefully* get around to.

The trip itself was fine.  The blueberry farm was about two hours away, so even though we were there for only about an hour, it really was an all day affair.  After picking blueberries for an hour, we went to Cracker Barrel.

The story I want to share happened when we were out actually picking.  We found a spot right next to this nice but hardcore lady.  To help you get an idea of this nearly professional blueberry-picker, she was all decked out in a straw hat with the little hanging cloth to protect her neck, sunglasses, long sleeved shirt (even in the 90 degree weather) and long pants.  I didn't actually notice if she was wearing gloves, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was.

My family officially freaked her out.

I'm 90% sure she was the one who started talking to us first because "she was bored from being by herself all morning..."  We noticed earlier that she was accosted by this guy sharing his extreme political beliefs  to anyone who would listen, so we commented on that to her.  It went downhill from there.

Highlights of the conversation include:

Dad: How do you pick blueberries?  I don't know how to do this... (clearly joking)

Her: You set down your bucket, reach in with both hands...

My dad had to tell her he was just kidding.

...
Me: Hey Dad, remember that one time in the Bible when Cain offered a fruit sacrifice to God?  That was messed up.

Dad, exasperated:  Yes, Bethany, I remember that.

awkward silence
...
Nathan and Hannah, complaining constantly about picking blueberries in the heat...

Me: Pick faster, minions!!

Nate, singing from Les Mis: 24601...

Hannah, also singing Les Mis: There is a castle in the cloud...

It was about then that the lady slowly (or maybe rather quickly) moved away from us, probably on the other side of the blueberry orchard (is it even called an "orchard"?).  Looking back on everything I just typed, it doesn't sound very funny, but to us right then, it was hilarious.

I guess you just had to be there.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had more fun family memories like this!

    ReplyDelete